Caveat: This might be the most mundane thing I’ve ever posted, but I’m so astounded at myself I’m posting it anyway.
It’s 7am and I’m the very first human in the office. Somehow, I’d managed to set my combination of alarms to make me leave the house at 6am, rather than the usual 8am. I also missed every single clue on the way to work.
- On leaving the house, I thought that it was pretty dark for 8am, and guessed that maybe it just got like this at the end of the summer.
- Then I got to the Tube station, and the next trains were at 6:01, 6:02, 6:04 – I laughed at how badly mistaken the sign was, and decided to ignore it.
- At the station I changed lines at, the sign was also incorrect, I thought this was a really strange coincidence.
- On the train, there were no commuters, despite work starting in 40 minutes. I thought that maybe it was some sort of day off for most people.
- I checked my phone, it read “06:20″. I thought to myself “Wow, this is a huge coincidence, two station clocks and my phone are both wrong”. I did what any computer scientist would do, and figured that some time server used to synchronise computerised clocks had failed.
- I got to the office, and the lights turned on as I walked through the door. I asked the guy filling up the vending machine what time it was, he told me it was 6:45. I didn’t believe him at first.